Thursday, November 17, 2011

There is a River Whose Streams Make Glad the City of God


When the Lord gave me Psalm 46:4 as the reason we would call the women’s shelter “A River Runs Through It” I read the rest of the Psalm. God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. There is a river whose streams make glad the City of God, the holy place where the most high dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day. Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; He lifts His voice, the earth melts. The Lord almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolations He has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear, He burns the shields with fire. Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress.
I read the Psalm over and over and each time I received more from it. I had mentioned to Sile a good friend of mine here about how God had given me the name of the women’s shelter and then gave me this Psalm and I read it to her. Right away she had said that it must be posted somewhere, like on a sign or something. I found it ironic because the Lord had just given me that as well. While I was sitting and talking with Sile, I checked my phone as it had a message on it from a friend who said that I must read Habbakuk 2. I hadn’t spoken to this friend in awhile and had not told her of this revelation we had just received. I opened my bible and the words that stood out were- Then the Lord replied: “Write down the revelation on tablets so that a herald may run with it.” I looked up the word herald in the dictionary and read-Sign of what will happen, somebody or something that is a forerunner of something or gives an indication of something that is going to happen. Then I reread the Psalm with that in mind. God is so AMAZING! But there’s more to the story. A few days after this the Lord had told me to just take a fun day because I had been working so hard. So I asked Sifiso if he wanted to go with me. He was game and we headed toward the Piggs Peak area to visit a little shopping area I once was, where a Christian group played and sang on the street. The Lord had laid it on my heart to go to this area so off we went. As we travelled we came to the Nwenya Glass Factory and I usually come here each time I come to Swaziland but I hadn’t been here yet this trip. Right away I felt that the Lord had wanted us to go so we pulled in. As we window shopped we did stop to buy some chocolates and ate them as we continued onto each store. If you’ve never been there it is a slew of stores that are developed to help the Swazi people as each one is a small micro-business and made to sell the handmade wares. We travelled up the stairs and began to walk to the end of the row of stores when I felt God drawing me toward a store called Black Mamba that sold sauces, most of which were hot. I had no idea why but we went in and tasted some samples and as I turned around to walk out, there it was-there was a mirror on the wall with lettering on the wall that went across the mirror to the other side telling the story of how the business began and I heard Him in my heart tell me that this is how we are to display the Psalm. But verse 4 will be bolded and in red letters as if they were Jesus’ Words. I thought how perfect to have it written across a mirror, as part of our program for the battered women is to teach them that they are beautiful inside and out just the way the Lord created them to be. I was amazed at how He was working all this out and how the vision was growing into something we can surely grasp hold of, of what this city, “The City of God’s Glory” would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment